Thursday, June 23, 2011

How-to of the week: Let's talk lips.

Ok so I have to admit --- I used to hate lipstick.  I was all about tons of eye makeup and clear gloss, but I've turned a corner.  I love a bright red lip, and for the summer I'm sort of obsessed with coral.  However, when attempting this trend, keep in mind that there are some important ground rules.  Here are some tips:


FOR ALL BOLD LIPS:
- Start with a good lip moisturizer.  I'm an old-school lip balm gal, and my personal fave is Burt's Bees.
- ALWAYS go easy on the eye makeup when doing a bold lip.  I like a thin line on the top lid, a shimmery, sheer sweep of shadow, and lots of mascara.  Oh and don't neglect the brows.


RED LIPS:
- You need 3 components:  a dark red/brick-colored liner, a deep red matte lipstick, and a rich red gloss.
- Everyone's skin tone is different, so make sure the red you are choosing looks right with yours.  The best way to do this is to swipe it onto the back of your hand and make sure the lipstick tones go well with your skin tone.
- Never line outside of your actual lipline.  Sometimes I even like to put the lipstick on first, then follow the shape of your lip with the liner, and then add the gloss.
- No ifs, ands, or buts about it:  you will get lipstick on your teeth.  Make sure you keep checking for it.

Fave Products:  
CHANEL "Nude" lip definer
CHANEL "Fire" Hydrabase lipstick
CHANEL "Spark" Glossimer
Click to buy online

CORAL LIPS:
- No liner needed for this fun summer trend.  Just a matte coral stick and a shiny coral gloss.
- Be careful when choosing corals, just as when choosing reds.  Some skin tones might look best with an orange-y coral, while others will look best with pinkish coral.


Fave Products: 
Sephora Ultra Vinyl Lip Pencil in "Coral Glow"
Sephora Glassy Gloss in "Peach Me!"
Click to buy online 


HAPPY LIPSTICKING!

No comments:

Post a Comment