Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Gel-Liscious

Product Whore Alert!

I know it's not technically hair- or makeup-related, but gel nail polish is so superfab that I deemed it blog-worthy. 

Now don't be alarmed; I'm not talking about old school "gel" nails that are more like acrylics.  Those suckers are terrible for your nails.  I'm talking about no-chip, soak-off gel polish.  This phenomenal invention comes in lots of colors (including clear) and lasts weeks, not days.  I have a standing appointment at my nail salon every other Tuesday, and the color literally does not chip for the entire two weeks (unless you are doing intense manual labor or something)!!  How does it work?  A special UV light is used to "set" the polish and seal it onto your nails.  To remove the polish, your nails are soaked in acetone, and the polish basically lifts off of your nail.

I've tried just about every brand of the stuff, so here's the rundown according to Yours Truly:

OPI Axxium was the first big name to this party.  I love me some OPI regular polish, and now I love me some OPI Axxium. 
Pro:  The largest selection of color.  Axxium comes in the best/most popular colors OPI makes, including a ton of glitter shades.  You peeps know how happy I am when you give me some glitter. 
Con:  Tends to be a bit thicker than Shellac


Shellac is another big gel polish manufacturer.  It seems a little easier to find salons that use Shellac than the other brands.
Pro:  Goes on very thin and looks exactly like normal polish.  This also makes soak-off easier/shorter.
Con:  Colors are boring.  Hopefully they will jump on the Fun Color train soon, but for now they are heavy on the pinks and neutrals.

Gelish seems to be the hardest to find in salons, though I'm not sure why.  I'm not totally in love with this brand, but I'm not mad at it either.
Pro:  Good color selection (also with great glitters!)
Con:  Goes on the thickest of all 3
Call your nail salon and ask if they offer gel polish, make an appointment, and get yourself a gel manicure.  It's worth it!!

Disclaimer:  Don't try this at home!  Leave it to the professionals.  The polishing process involves 'setting' each layer of gel using UV lights.  Also, definitely, DEFINITELY don't try to peel the polish off yourself --- most of your nail will peel off with it.  Trust me.  I've tried it.  Let the nail peeps soak it off in acetone and use their tools to do the job correctly.

1 comment:

  1. Love the gelish. Fought using it but have learned to love it. My natural nails have stayed strong and my color lasts a full two weeks.

    ReplyDelete