Tuesday, October 11, 2011

GASP!!! An alternative to "Well Rested"

I had this question posted as a comment, and I've actually gotten the same query more than once. Instead of just responding to the comment, I decided it was new-post-worthy. Look out!

Here's the conundrum:

I need to change the concealer I'm using to tackle the lovely genetic dark circles that seem determined to hang out under my eyes. I have very thin, translucent skin and the concealers I've tried just aren't hacking it. I still look tired even when I'm not. Got any suggestions?!

Here's my suggestion, which, let's be honest, is usually correct. But we can talk about my ego problems later:

While I've always been a huge fan of Bare Minerals "Well Rested" mineral powder concealer, it seems not to work as well for folks with thinner undereye skin.  So I got all detective at Sephora and went investigatin'.  My super duper find? Laura Mercier "Undercover Pot" concealer. It's great because it's basically a 3-part concealer in one little pot. The top of the container is home to two cream concealers: a thinner cream, and a thicker, more yellow-toned version of the first.

Use the thinner, peachier-toned cream for undereye circles, being careful not to create that 'reverse raccoon-eye' effect where you make a bright circle directly under your eyes. To avoid this, blend the concealer lower, working it into the sides of your nose and even partly onto your upper cheek. After applying the cream (with a concealer brush; see previous post on brushes), unscrew the bottom of the pot for a surprise. I love surprises!! This smart little product hides a thin powder in the bottom that you will want to use to sweep over your cream concealer. This sets the cream and also keeps it from settling into creases.

Now what to do with that thicker, more yellow cream? That stuff is awesome for red spots and blemishes. It's too thick and yellow for dark circles (tends to make them look blue), but it's perfect for a pesky zitty zit zit.

One more thing:  obviously, this product comes in multiple shades.  They are named by numbers (1,2,3,etc. in order of darkness).  Be sure to test on your skin or consult with someone at Sephora or the makeup counter to find your perfect match.  Now go out into the world looking awake and refreshed!


 Check out my new little happy.  Two cream concealers on top, and then.....wait for it....a surprise finishing powder on the bottom!

1 comment: