Wednesday, July 20, 2011

KeratinWatch: Day 1

Recently I've had a few friends who have had a Keratin treatment, so I decided it was time I tried it for myself.  So what the heck is a Keratin treatment?  It's a process that softens and shines your hair and can last up to 5 or 6 months.   For we gals with a little bit of unruly wave, the treatment straightens that out as well.  Anywho, I've decided to devote an occasional blog to updates about the process and results.  Are you shaking with excitement yet?

Today was my Keratin appointment at my uber fave Atlanta salon, Jon David Salon in Inman Park.  The whole process took just over 3 hours.  First, there is a "toxin-removing" shampoo, followed by the application of the Keratin gel, then the slooooow drying process, and finally the sealing with a special flat iron.  Whew!  After all that, I can't lie:  my hair is crazy shiny and smooth.  My stylist told me that I won't have to flat iron my hair for the next 4 to 5 months, and it should be relatively straight and shiny even if I let it air-dry. 

The cons?  Number one is the price.  The treatments range anywhere from $250 to $400.  Yikes.  Also, I have to wait 48 hours to wash my hair.  Holy greaseballs.  On top of that, I can't put anything in my hair --- no ponytail holders, no bobby pins --- nothing that will make a crease while the treatment sets.  Finally, you have to buy special shampoo and conditioner that runs about $30 each. 

According to the peeps I know who have done this, the pros definitely outweigh the cons.  Guess only time will tell!


Here's an example of before and after

No comments:

Post a Comment