Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Things J.Lo has taught me

Last year, I was in denial when a certain judge left American Idol.  I'm not talking about missing Paula and her less-than-sober antics; I'm talking about the black hole that was left in my life with the departure of Kara DioGuardi.  I'm sure you're wondering why I'd miss someone who was such a non-factor in such a huge show.  The reason?  She was my makeup goddess.  She was flawless every episode, and also on every red carpet.  See some fabulous examples below:
                                                                                                                                                                                                           

What's a girl to do when her makeup muse has left her??  Turns out I didn't have to fret for long.  The answer to my prayers came in an apple-bottomed package called Jennifer Lopez.  The woman is insane (insane in a good way).  Girlfriend can literally pull off just about any look and not look random doing it. 

Here are a few of the Commandments handed down to me from Mount Lopez:

1.  Big hair is better.
I know it sounds scary, but don't be afraid to do a little teasing and volumizing.  Big, bouncy curls always look even more voluptuous withe some extra volume.  J.Lo is a pro at letting her luscious locks grab attention with a perfectly blown-out 'do.  Once you've dried and styled your hair, just turn your hair upside down and spray the shiz out of it.  Also, a little teasing hair at the crown of your head doesn't hurt either! 
Fave product:  L'Oreal Elnett Satin hairspray for color-treated hair
(only sold at Target)
Ugh.  Amazing.


2.  Glam it up with glitter.
Don't be scured.  When applied sparingly, sparkle is super!  I love it brushed on your lids with some giant fake eyelashes, or even as a thin stroke of a glittery liner.  Of course, don't neglect your cheeks --- brush on an extra shimmery blush for just the right amount of glow.
Fave products:
Bare Minerals shimmer blush in "Vintage Peach"
Bare Minerals face color in "Pure Radiance"
Urban Decay eyeshadow in "Midnight Cowboy"
Urban Decay Heavy Metal glitter liner in any fun shade

3.  Feature one feature at a time.
Mrs. Mark Anthony follows one of my favorite rules of makeup:  make a statement with one feature, and let the rest of your makeup serve as support.  If you're going to do bold lips, keep the eyes simple and easy.  If you're going to go apesh*t on your eyes, swipe on a shiny nude lip gloss. 

Bold eyes, nude lip.  Perfect-o.

4.  Don't be afraid of your inner Jenny from the Block.
We all saw the Idol episode when JLo wore the denim jumpsuit that hearkened back to her P. Diddy gun-carrying days.  It wasn't super.  But what did it teach us?  That it's not a bad thing to take risks.  Every now and then, try a new trend.  What's the worst that could happen?  Maybe you and your friends will have a good laugh at your mishap, but at least you won't be known to have boring style!  Hey, I've got a feather extension in my hair right now.  I rest my case.

To be honest, I'm so obsessed with JLo that I could write a book.  Hopefully these few little tidbits will inspire us all to channel our inner glamourpuss and rock out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment